Friday, August 22, 2014

Failed to Decline Request

Hint: If you'd prefer to watch the Webucator video on this issue, scroll to the bottom of this post.

Recently, I noticed that the option to approve a request for access to a site was grayed out. I had full control over the site; so I knew it wasn’t a permissions issue with my account. The reason was that there was no group selected. Instead, the dropdown had “Select a group or permission level.” Once I selected a group, I was able to approve or decline the request.

 
Then a colleague and I encountered the “Failed to decline request” error. We both had full control over the site, but neither of us could decline a user’s request for access to the site.
 
 
 
Since selecting a group had fixed my approve problem, I decided to apply the same logic to this decline issue. Low and behold, after selecting a group, my colleague and I were able to decline the request.
 
After experiencing these two issues, I finally recognize the importance of having a default group.
 
To set the default group for a site:

1. Navigate to the site
2. From the Settings wheel, click Site settings
3. Under Users and Permissions, click People and Groups


4. Click the group that will be the default
5. Click Settings and select Make Default Group


6. Click OK to make the current group the default members group

 
 
 
Update: Thanks to my friends at Webucator, you can now watch a video that walks you through identifying and resolving the Failed to Decline Request issue.
 


Webucator offers customized SharePoint training for private groups as well as public online SharePoint classes and self-paced SharePoint courses for individual students. Check out their website for more details about their SharePoint training.
 


 
 

3 comments:

  1. What if my groups aren't appearing in the drop down list?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Group will not show in the Permission drop down list until you go to site setting, Permission and grant permissions to those group on Site

      Delete
  2. Hi, How to set default permission level for sharepoint page. above you explained for access requests for site. When user requests for access for any sharepoint page, by default they are getting "Edit" access. how can I made it by default to "Read". pls help..

    ReplyDelete